Thursday, March 8, 2012

List Three: Jobs I"ve had

1. Babysitter. I loved doing this job throughout middle and high school. The kids I watched are now old enough to babysit my kids! (sheesh! you'd think I was OLD or something!)

2. Odd jobber for my parents and for others. I got paid to do painting (interior and exterior) and yard work.

3. For two summers I worked as a Historical Interpreter. One summer @ the Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village and one summer @ Fort Edmonton Park. I got to dress up in costumes from various eras, portray various personalities and share certain aspects of history with tourists and school groups. I loved these two summers.

4. Program Facilitator. Worked for an awesome organization in Calgary that provided recreational opportunities for adults with disabilities. It was a really fun opportunity to meet many people with all kinds of abilities/disabilities/ personalities and to help me get to know the city better.

5. Camp Counsellor. For the same org. as above. They run a fantastic summer day camp program. I loved it! (well, not the pay, but the rest for sure!)

6. Classroom Aide. I worked in an early intervention private pre-school in Calgary. Really set the tone for my passion for special ed, inclusive ed, adaptive learning opportunities. My first time working with kids with disabilities. Each one of them melted my heart on a daily basis.

7. Job Coach. In High River/Okotoks, helping adults with disabilities to maintain employment in the community. I helped people who were among other things, restaurant dish washers, newspaper deliverers, recyclers.

8. Outreach Worker. This was my most fulfilling job. This is where I truly felt important (I had my own office! I was middle-management! I was one of only a few university grads working for the company. I was actually USING what I’d learned in school!) I managed a caseload of 15-20 adults with a wide range of disabilities. I did such a wide range of tasks that it was never boring, sometimes dangerous and almost always what I wanted to be doing. I was on the path to manager. The managers and exec. Director had big plans for me. I had big plans for me! Then I got preggo…and moved back to Saskatchewan….

9. Mamma. This job is a lot more difficult and thankless than I ever imagined, but I love my kids so much!

10. Preschool Teacher. This was a very cool job. I worked alongside an amazing woman and truly enjoyed all the thinking, planning and playing that this job required. However it required so much of all 3, that I just didn’t have enough in the tank at the end of the day to give to my own kids. I had to resign after only one year. It’s been hard letting go. I WILL do this again sometime, maybe once the kids are older.

11. Teacher’s Aide/Educational Assistant. This was another job I could see myself doing as a career once the kids are older. As a sub I worked in all the different divisions with a ton of interesting kids and equally interesting teachers!

12. Farmer. I am not a just farmer’s wife. I AM a farmer. I drive the tractor, I make the bales, I check/feed/care for the animals, I keep the records, I have a say in the decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment